Calcium Magnesium Aspartate

Calcium and Magnesium Aspartate is a cal-mag complexed to aspartic acid to enhance its physiological absorption and utilization.

CALCIUM – The body needs calcium throughout life, but especially during periods of growth, pregnancy and lactation. Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the body. It makes up 1.5 to 2.0% of the body weight and 39% of the total minerals present. 99% of calcium is in the bones and teeth. The other 1% is present in the blood, extracellular fluids, and within the cells of the soft tissues where it regulates many important metabolic functions.

Functions of Calcium

  • Build and maintain bones and teeth
  • Metabolically for the activity of certain enzymes (ATP and AMP)
  • Initiates the changes needed for formation of blood clotting
  • Cell membrane stabilizer and function within the cell
  • Nerve transmission
  • Regulation of the heart beat

Dietary Sources of Calcium

  • Cereals – Oatmeal
  • Cheese – Feta, Ricotta (part-skim)
  • Fruits – Figs, Dates, and Prunes
  • Milk/Yogurt – Skim Milk, Low-Fat Yogurt, Skim Yogurt, 1% Milk
  • Nuts/Seeds – Sesame Seeds and Soybean Nuts
  • Vegetables – Asparagus, Tofu, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Daikon, Kelp, Parsley, Collards, and Wakame

MAGNESIUM – Approximately 60% is found in bone, 26% in muscle, and the remainder in soft tissues and body fluids.

Magnesium is essential for the production and transfer of energy for protein synthesis, for contractility of muscle and excitability in nerves, and as a cofactor in numerous enzyme systems related to other functions. Magnesium and calcium have similar functions and may antagonize each other. An excess amount of magnesium will inhibit bone calcification. Calcium and magnesium also play antagonistic roles in normal muscle contraction, calcium acting as a stimulator and magnesium as a relaxer. An excessive amount of calcium may induce signs typical of magnesium deficiency.

A review of the role of magnesium in ischemic heart disease suggests that therapeutic use in the acute phase may be justified. Recent studies have shown possible cardioprotective mechanisms of magnesium. In a double-blind study of 181 participants serum magnesium levels were assessed. Of the 181 patients, 141 were symptomatic MVP (mitral valve prolapse) and 40 were healthy control subjects. Although decreased serum magnesium levels were found in 60% of the patients with MVP, only 5% of the control subjects showed similar decreases. The second leg of the study investigated response to treatment. Participants with magnesium deficits were randomly assigned to receive magnesium supplement or placebo. The results in the magnesium group were dramatic: the mean number of symptoms per patient was significantly reduced; significant reductions were noted in weakness, chest pain, shortness of breath, palpitations, and even anxiety; and decreases were noted in the amount of adrenalin-like substances in the urine.

Dietary Sources of Magnesium

  • Nuts
  • Legumes
  • Cereal grains
  • Dark-green vegetables
  • Seafood
  • Cocoa and chocolate

Supplements Facts

Serving Size: 1 tablet Amount Per Serving % of U.S. RDA*
Calcium (as calcium aspartate and oyster shell) 344mg 34%
Magnesium (as magnesium oxide, aspartate) 166mg 42%

* U.S. Recommended Daily Allowance for adults 4 years and older

Other Ingredients: Vegetable gum, croscarmellose sodium, stearic acid, microcrystalline cellulose, silicone dioxide, magnesium stearate.